Billy Michael Honor Jr.
Summary of Qualifications
- Leadership Skills for Diverse Groups - Consensus-builder with strong interpersonal, teamwork, and listening skills. Experienced mediator able to facilitate dialogue. Significant professional travel in the continental United States. Considerable experience as a cultural ambassador in national and interfaith contexts. Experienced leader in cross cultural contexts and multi-racial settings.
- Teaching and Public Speaking Expertise - Conversational facilitator for emerging religious leaders especially from underrepresented ethnic/racial groups. Experience as an instructor of courses in Biblical studies, contemporary theology, and religion and culture. Published author of essays, sermons, and web publications. 15 years of numerous speaking engagements at universities, conferences, and ecumenical religious settings. Speaks and writes on racial reconciliation, Christian pastoral scholarship, public theology, progressive Christianity, and religion & culture
- Management Capabilities - Led congregational and organizational administrative projects dealing with strategic planning, evaluation, conflict resolution and hiring etc. Excellent motivator able to enhance morale of professional colleagues. Train leaders in vision-casting and strategic thinking. Served as Senior Pastor of a multi-faceted, influential protestant church. Built, developed, and evaluated staff. Implemented new management structures that significantly enhanced church administration and congregational vision and mission.
Master of Theology (Theology and Ethics)
Thesis: The Critical Christ: Exploring the presentation of Jesus in the theological cultural criticism of Howard Thurman and James Cone.
Emory University's Candler School of Theology, 2010
Master of Divinity (concentration: theology), with highest honors
Johnson C. Smith Seminary at the Interdenominational Theological Center, 2009
Bachelor of Arts (Major: Biblical Education), cum laude
Beulah Heights University, 2006
June 2011, Presbyterian Church USA, ordained to Ministry of Word and Sacrament
January 2000, Sanctified Church of God, ordained to the Ministry of Preaching
Continuing Education Courses:
Sexual Misconduct Prevention Training Workshop, Presbytery of Greater Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia (June 2012)
Preaching: Dialogue on Peace, Justice, and Reconciliation Seminar, Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Georgia (January 2011)
The History and Making of Christian Social Ethics Seminar, Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Georgia (October 2010)
Interim Pastor Training Course, Presbyterian Church USA, Hampton, Georgia (February, 2010)
Other Professional Experience:
- Pastor/Head of Staff, New Life Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA 2009-Present - Responsibilities include pastoral leadership and administration for large, urban, influential intergenerational congregation. Manages a staff of 10+ employees. Oversight of $600,000+ budget. Various duties such as preaching and teaching regularly, ministry programming, conflict resolution and leader development . Church ministries included local, national, and international initiatives dealing with social issues such as strengthening theological institutions of higher learning, reforming the educational system, alleviating poverty, and supporting global peace movements.
- Adjunct Instructor, Beulah Heights University, Atlanta, GA 2012-2103 - Responsibilities included selecting and compiling tests, assignments and/or online discussion exercises that permit measurement of performance relative to standardized learning objectives. Reviewed textbook and other courseware changes with the academic department chair and other full-time faculty teaching the course. Taught the assigned class in accordance with learning objectives and session plan outlines. Administered evaluations of student performance based on course deliverables and course rubrics. Participated in chat sessions as determined by the course. Submited grades for assignments, discussion board exercises, and exams and course completion.
- Pastoral Associate, Peachtree Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA 2009 - Involved in a full range of pastoral duties, including teaching, preaching, discipling, leading worship, and exercising spiritual care. Assists with the creation and implementing of youth worship leadership team. Makes visitation calls to specified members or contacts related to the church, and assist with the Nursing Home ministry when work schedules permit. Provides leadership for specified short-term projects. Assists in the leadership of the community development department.
- Pastoral Intern, Peachtree Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA 2006-2009 - Involved in a full range of pastoral duties, including teaching, preaching, discipling, leading worship, and exercising spiritual care.
- Critical Cleric Consulting, Atlanta, GA 2005-Present - Organizes and facilitates national preaching and teaching ministry focused on the promotion of public theology and religious based intellectualism. Engages in the production of sermons, articles, speeches, and books that help the Church be more faithful to it's to call to the present age. Also provides stimulating workshops and roundtables in various religious institutions and civic organizations. Keynote speaker for various community affairs and university related events. Assisted with launch of an interdenominational network of emerging religious leaders in Atlanta called the "The NEXT Gathering". In that capacity, facilitates a NETWORK™ centered on dissecting emerging trends in ministry and providing support to the emerging generation of Ethnic religious leaders.
- Minister in Youth Department, St. Mark A.M.E. Church, Orlando, FL, 2000 - Provide vision, teaching, relationship building and supervision to youth endeavors that helped young people to mature and at the same time provided a safe place for non-believers to be inquisitive. Create and conduct workshops to encourage and prepare all young adults to serve in their areas of giftedness. Increase communication via internet-based communication tools. Launch complementing ministries.
Adjunct Professor, Beulah Heights University, Course: Hermeneutics, Spring 2013
Adjunct Professor, Beulah Heights University, Course: Systematic Theology, Spring 2013
Adjunct Professor, Beulah Heights University, Course: Wisdom Literature, Fall 2012
Adjunct Professor, Beulah Heights University, Course: Isaiah & Jeremiah, Fall 2012
Adjunct Professor, Beulah Heights University, Systematic Theology, Fall 2012
Teaching Assistant, Interdenominational Theological Center, Course: The Bible, Sex, and Sexualities, Spring 2009
Teaching Assistant, Interdenominational Theological Center, Course: Introduction to O.T./Hebrew Bible, Fall 2008
Academic/Professional Honors and Awards:
Selected as one of Atlanta Business Journal's 100 Most Influential Pastors, 2012
United Negro College Fund Outstanding Young Alumni Award, 2012
Beulah Heights University Distinguished Alumni Award, 2010
Johnson C. Smith Seminary Academic Achievement Award (highest GPA) 2009
Selected for Who's Who Among College and University Students 2008-2009
Selected for the Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals 2008
Recipient of the Raymond Worsley Honors Award 2007-08
Recipient of the Edgar Ward Tuition Award 2007-08
Selected Participant to the Historic Oberlin Faith and Order Conference, 2007
Collegiate All-American Scholar (Beulah Heights University) 2006
Congressional Recognition Award for Academic Excellence (3rd District of Florida) 2001
Selected Co-Chair of National Crime Prevention Conference 1998
Metropolitan Orlando Urban League Trailblazer Award, 1998
Columbia Theological Seminary (Board of Trustee Member) since 2013
Tri-Presbytery New Church Development Commission (Advisor) since 2010
Interdenominational Theological Center (Board of Trustee Member) since 2011
Johnson C. Smith Seminary (Board of Trustee Member) since 2010
American Academy of Religion, member since 2007
Theta Phi (National Honor Society of Theological and Religious Scholars, ITC) 2007
National Evangelical Training Society, member since 2006
Intervarsity Emerging Scholars Network, member since 2005
Publications and Special Presentations:
Featured Sermon: "Jesus, Poor Veterans, and the Grass that Suffers" published by On Scripture of the Odyssey Network on odysseynetworks.org (November 2013)
Featured Article: "Race in the Religious Classroom" published in Presbyterians Today magazine (August 2013).
Feature Interview/Article: "'Letter from Birmingham Jail' at 50: MLK's religious fervor remembered" by Mashaun Simon published on thegrio.com (April 16, 2013)
Movie Review: "One Night with the King" by TBN Productions published on Associated Content.com (March 2010).
Book Review: "Watch This: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Black Televangelism" by Jonathan Walton published on Associated Content.com (April 2010).
Special Presentations & Lectures
Keynote Speaker, Topic: Celebrating the Value of Paideia in Religious Education, Beulah Heights University, 2013.
Guest Scholar, Topic: 50th Anniversary of Martin Luther King Letter From A Birmingham Jail, on nationally syndicated Jesse Lee Peterson radio show, April 2013
Guest Scholar, Topic: Faith Community Response To Presidential Election Results, Religion Roundtable with Dr. Ralph Waktins TV show on Atlanta Interfaith Broadcast,2012
Guest Scholar, Topic: What's the Role of Faith in Political Elections, Religion Roundtable with Dr. Ralph Waktins TV show on Atlanta Interfaith Broadcast, 2012
Alumni Induction Luncheon Speaker, Topic: Ministry and its Warning Labels, Beulah Heights University, 2012
Keynote Speaker, Topic: Celebrating the significance of Service, South Fulton Senior Services, (South Fulton County Georgia), 2010
Keynote Speaker, Topic: The Religious and Social Significance of Grandparents, Georgia State University (Project Healthy Grandparent), 2009
Panelist, Topic: The Church By Definition, A Letter To The Church Leadership Forum, (Word of Truth Christian Center, Bremen, Georgia), 2009
Panelist, Topic: Can Hip Hop Be Holy, Georgia General Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction Forum on Hip Hop, 2005
Featured Preacher, Sermon Topic: How To Handle A Scandal, Day1 Christian Media's nationally syndicated radio program, April 27 2014.
Conference Preacher, Sermon Topic: The Curse of A Closed Mouth, Presbyterian USA Black Pastor's Conference, 2013
Chapel Speaker, Sermon Topic: Now That I've Found My Place, Beulah Heights University, 2012
Baccalaureate Speaker, Sermon Topic: My Favor Is Fair (Embracing the Blessing of Hokmah'), Dillard University, 2012
Chapel Speaker, Sermon Topic: Rediscovering the Public Theologian, Columbia Theological Seminary, 2011
Chapel Speaker, Sermon Topic: Bread eaters & Backstabbers, Interdenominational Theological Center, 2011
Chapel Speaker, Sermon Topic: The Curse of a Closed Mouth, Beulah Heights University, 2011
Functional Language Reading Proficiency:
Ancient Koine Greek and Hebrew
Areas of Teaching Competency:
Theology and Ethics, Contemporary and Historical Theology, Systematic Theology, Leadership & Ministry in the 21st century and Introduction to African American Religious Thought.
Specific Areas of Research:
General Religious Education, 21st century Models of Leadership & Ministry, Religious Cultural Criticism, Religion and Public Intellectualism, Public Theology, Contemporary Theology, and African American Religious Thought.
Available Upon Request